Sign Up for our FREE newsletter Here



Once you have a green card for 5 years, then you are eligible to “naturalize,” which is the process to become a U.S. citizen. If you obtained your green card through marriage, then you only need to wait 3 years to start your naturalization process.


There are a few other situations in which you might be eligible for citizenship.


There are certain situations in which you can get automatic citizenship if one or both of your parents were U.S. citizens at the time of your birth. The rules are complicated and dependent upon the year you were born.


Certain members of the U.S. military are eligible for citizenship.


If you are under the age of 18 and your custodial parent naturalizes, then you may be to obtain citizenship through that parent.

Family-Based Immigration

If you are a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (you have a green card), then you can petition for certain members of your family to immigrate to the U.S. and obtain a green card.  The eligible members of your family include your fiancé, spouse, parent, child, stepparent, stepchild, and sibling.  The length of time it will take for each family member depends on both the relationship and the family member’s current country of citizenship.

Business Immigration

Are you a business that cannot find U.S. worker to fill your specific employment need? Do you have a specific foreign national applicant that you want to sponsor to immigrate to the U.S.? Do you have an employee at a different branch of your company that you want to move to the U.S.? Do you want to start or buy a U.S. business? There are business-related immigration solutions for these situations and many more. 

Temporary Worker Visas

There are many visa options for workers seeking to come into the U.S. and not stay permanently. Temporary does not necessarily mean short-term. The visa you might qualify for is generally determined by your credentials (education or background work experience).

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

If you arrived in the U.S. as a child (under age 16), then you may be eligible for DACA, which can provide you with work authorization. Although new applications are currently on hold with the government, these new applications can still be filed for when they start reviewing again. Also, if you already have DACA and need it to be renewed, the government is still granting renewals, despite the hold. For more background and current updates on DACA, see our page on DACA.

Temporary Protective Status (TPS)

Sometimes conditions in your home country can temporarily stop you from returning safely, such as civil war or an environmental disaster (like an earthquake or hurricane). If the U.S. Government identifies your home country with these conditions, then you can be eligible to remain in the U.S. under TPS and obtain work and travel authorization, as well as protection from being detained or deported. If you are in the U.S., and a citizen of the following countries, you may be eligible to file for TPS: Burma (Myanmar), Haiti, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen.

U-Visa, T-visa, and VAWA

If you have been the victim of a crime, victim of human trafficking, or have been abused by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, parent, or child, then you may be eligible for a U.S. visa and work authorization.


Do you fear returning to your home country because you have suffered persecution and/or will be persecuted because of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group? Because asylum is particularly tricky, having an attorney can be essential to put together a thorough application.